Minor water interruptions mean fresher water for #Guelph
Minor water interruptions mean fresher water for Guelph:
The City will begin cleaning water mains in selected areas of Guelph on Friday, September 18. There are three parts to the cleaning program:
- Water main flushing daily September 18 to 25 and October 26 to 30, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Water main cleaning nightly from September 27 to October 22, between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Water main cleaning on October 25 between 6 a.m. and 4 p.m.
The City aims to complete all cleaning and flushing by Friday, October 30.
What to expect:
- Homes and businesses where water mains are to be cleaned will receive a notice before cleaning starts on their street.
- Tap water should not be used during cleaning times. Store tap water before cleaning starts or use bottled water.
- Water pressure may be low during flushing periods, and water may appear discoloured.
- No chemicals are used in cleaning and flushing. Special scrubbers and water pressure are used to clean water mains.
Drinking small amounts of discoloured water is unlikely to cause health issues. However, the City recommends waiting until water runs clear before drinking it. To clear discoloured water, run a cold water tap for five to fifteen minutes.
Why clean water mains?
Water main cleaning ensures customers receive the freshest water possible. Cleaning removes buildup of natural minerals such as iron and manganese. This reduces the chance that water will become discoloured.
For more information:
For more information about water main cleaning or water quality contact Water Services at 519-837-5627 or visit guelph.ca/seasonal.