Important Update – Sept 26th Nestle Water Taking Motion. #Guelph
I’ve heard from the community, fellow councillor’s and city staff. I want to make two things crystal clear:
1. Councillor Gordon has every right to bring forward this issue that he’s passionate about.
2. I will not vote for this motion as currently presented.
Let me explain:
- Our City of Guelph staff already have a process that brings recommended comments towards the MOECC regarding the Nestle water taking permit before council.
- When brought forward there would be discussion, debate and it would allow for public delegations. This was already done in 2007 and in 2011.
- Staff have advised that the report was scheduled for November.
- The water taking application from Nestle is not yet posted at the EBR for the public and our professional staff due to a delay from the Province.
For these reasons above, I will not be voting in favour of sending Councillor Gordon’s current motion to committee of the whole on Oct 3rd for further debate as I feel it’s unnecessary and pre-mature.
In my opinion, the current motion should be withdrawn. We should push the pause button yet get ready to press play soon!
Our council is made up of many different people with many differing opinions and ideas. As your mayor, I want to create a culture where new ideas and new issues can be brought forward. An atmosphere where all matters can and should be debated respectfully. No matter what Councillor Gordon may decide around this particular motion, I know his intentions and his convictions on this issue is what should matter most.
If the motion is not withdrawn, please be aware that delegations will not be allowed on September 26th given that it is strictly a procedural (referral) matter for council to debate.