What Do I Do To Report Spills in #Guelph?

Over the past year Wastewater Services staff has received a number of complaints from residents related to anonymous spills of substances into Howitt Creek (near Silvercreek Parkway South). 
In such situations, City staff are trained to monitor the storm sewer discharges to the creek to determine the source of the substance, take appropriate action to remove the substance and report to the Provincial regulator—the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change. 

You can report a spill to city staff following the process described below and posted on our web site at the following link: HERE

How do I report a spill?

In the event of a spill, immediately notify the Ministry of the Environment’s Spills Action Centre at 1-800-268-6060 and/or the City of Guelph’s Environment Protection Officer at 519-837-5629. To assist the Spills Action Centre and/or the City in promptly responding to a spill, you will need to provide the following information:
· Name of the company or resident and the address of the spill
· Your name and the telephone number where you can be reached

· Time of spill

· Type and volume of material discharged and any other hazards

· Actions being taken to control/contain the spill

 If you observe the discharge of chemicals, oil, paint or any other suspicious materials into a storm sewer catch basin, sanitary sewer or land drainage works (i.e. ditch), call the City of Guelph at 519-837-5629 (24/7).

Leave a Reply