Key highlights for Q4 2021:
- 2021 has been a relatively strong year for labour market gains in the Guelph CMA; however, job growth does not necessarily equate to economic growth.
- The CMA continues to demonstrate steady job growth and resilience moving into Q4 2021.
- In Q4, employment rose by 1,300 (1.4 per cent) over Q3, from 94,800 to 96,100; December’s employment reached an all-time high for the CMA.
- The labour force declined by 800 (-0.8 per cent) to 100,000. Despite the Q4 decline, the labour force grew by 9.9 per cent year-over-year, from 91,000 to 100,000 (2020 to 2021).
- December’s unemployment rate (3.9 per cent) is the lowest rate since the pandemic first began and one of the lowest rates across all CMAs in Canada.
- From Q2 to Q4 2021, Guelph CMA continues to maintain one of the highest participation rates among CMAs: 70.6 per cent in December.