Update #2 on Hydro One Clear Cutting In #Guelph
I met yesterday at 12pm with Hydro One representatives on site for about 30 minutes.
I was joined by some of our environmental and forestry staff from the city and a few councillors.
I listened to the reasoning for needing to clear cut the area.
1. Safety is of course paramount (which no one will argue.)
2. Being more efficient (not having to come and continually prune or remove trees)
3. Regulatory requirements from a North American governing body called N.E.R.C.
1. Is it really true that this whole area will be clear cut? – Yes
2. Does it have to be all taken out right up to the fence line of adjoining homes (especially on Pacific Place)? – Yes
3. Is there anything that the city can do to save any of these trees? – We could explore an agreement of taking responsibility for maintaining some areas of the site, but that’s not recommended. (This is a long shot folks and has huge liability & financial issues to explore, this probably won’t happen.)
4. I believe the flyer said You’re using herbicide. Is this true? – No
5. Would you have a public meeting to properly explain what’s going on to this community? – Yes, we’ll figure out when and where this will occur.
As more info becomes available I will continue to keep you in the loop here.
I’m trying my best folks and I’m so sorry you’re going through this.