Curbside battery collection starts October 15:
Guelph, Ont., September 27, 2018 –
The City is collecting single-use alkaline batteries at the curb from October 15-26.
A battery collection bag will be distributed to residents in the Guelph Mercury Tribune newspaper on Tuesday, October 2.
Free battery collection will take place on blue cart collection days from October 15 to 26.
To participate, residents are asked to:
- Cover all 9-volt battery terminals with tape
- Put used or unwanted single-use alkaline batteries in the battery bag and seal it
- Leave the bag on the ground beside the blue cart
Batteries that are accepted in the battery bag include:
- Standard A, AA, AAA, C, and D batteries (both alkaline and heavy duty)
- 6-volt (often used in lanterns)
- 9-volt batteries (often used in smoke alarms)
- Button cells (typically used in watches, toys, electronics, greeting cards and calculators)
- Rechargeable battery packs – nickel cadmium, nickel metal hydride or lithium ion (typically used in laptop computers, cellular phones and power tools)
Residents who do not receive a battery bag can pick one up at:
- City Hall, 1 Carden Street
- West End Recreation Centre, 21 Imperial Road South
- Evergreen Community Seniors Centre, 683 Woolwich Street
- Waste Resource Innovation Centre, 110 Dunlop Drive
- All Guelph Fire stations
Residents can also bring used batteries to City Hall, Guelph Fire Headquarters or the Waste Resource Innovation Centre for recycling throughout the year, during regular office hours.
Safe disposal and recycling of batteries prevents soil and water pollution that can occur if batteries are disposed of improperly and recovers over 90 per cent of a household battery’s components, including metal, carbon and manganese.
This annual program is a recommendation from the City’s Solid Waste Management Master Plan, and supports the City’s efforts to meet its waste diversion target of 70 per cent by 2021.
For more information:
Heather Connell, Manager, Integrated Services
Solid Waste Resources
519-822-1260 extension 2082