Today at Council Committee (starting at 2pm) we intend to table a motion on this within the discussion on tourism funding and programs. You can watch live at http://www.Guelph.ca/live
High level information on such an initiative can be found below and within the embedded links:
A Music City is a community of any size with a vibrant music economy. A music economy has the potential to generate a wide array of benefits for their communities, from economic growth, job creation, and increased spending to greater tax revenues and cultural development.
A Music City Strategy is key to a thriving music economy, which offers a range of benefits to communities of any size – including economic growth, job creation, tax revenue and cultural development.
What are the essential elements (and opportunities) of Music Cities?
- Development of Music Strategy (and Culture Plan)
- The creation of Music Office to help musicians and music businesses navigate the broad range of government policies and regulations
- The formulation of Music Advisory Boards
- Engaging the broader music community to ensure the people most affected by music policies are involved and informed.
- Access to spaces and places, whether public or privately owned, for artists to practice, record, and perform at every stage of their career.
- A focus on audience development, ensuring there is an engaged and passionate audience for local musicians as well as international touring artists
- Music tourism or the development of a Music City brand to leverage a thriving live
- Music scene, rich music history or large music festivals